Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Update, selling scrap

Whenever I see a discarded hot water heater, I pick it up.  I can't help myself.  In fact, I keep an old truck bed trailer just for picking up stuff like that.  I pick up small stuff too, screws, washers ... old ovens out in the woods. At $0.12 dollars / pound, any little piece of scrap steel is worth a penny or better.  And as for old appliances, to me they look like a $20 bill sitting on the curb waiting for someone to pick up.

It's not hard to get 1500 lbs of scrap iron in the back of a pickup, and that's enough to go home with $180.00 in your pocket.

Waste not want not.

1 comment:

  1. Oh,one last tidbit: If the scrap yard has T-shirts or caps, do what you have to do to get one. Then be sure to wear it when you take the scrap in.

    Owners like that sort of thing, and you might get an extra half cent per pound.

    ReplyDelete